Abdominoplasty, also known as tummy tuck in India, requires special care during the recovery. In this procedure, excess fat and skin is removed and the weak abdominal wall muscles are tightened. To ensure a perfect result and complete healing, significant aftercare is required.
Following up with the treating doctor after the surgery for several weeks and once a month in the later stages of recovery will be helpful for the patient. The optimal result comes with the combination of experienced surgeons, short and safe procedures, and regular follow-up care. There is a list of things you should consider during the recovery period and tips to be followed to obtain optimum healing and a flatter, firmer, and smoother abdomen.
Understand What to Expect During Recovery:
The recovery rate of a patient depends on the type of tummy tuck, health conditions, patient's age, and body weight. Healing is a gradual process in most surgeries. Complete healing takes several months, while the time required for recovery might be shorter for a mini tummy tuck.
After an entire day at the surgical center for tummy tuck surgery in India, you will be able to go home when you are recovered from the anesthesia. In people who have undergone associated Liposuction and/ or muscle tightening procedure, hospital-based surgery will be required. In the first few days after the surgery, swelling and discomfort are entirely normal. The swellings can be controlled with medicines and compression garments. General physical discomfort is expected; however, if you feel severe pain after the surgery, visit your tummy tuck in Mumbai doctor to seek help in managing your discomfort. To promote healing and reduce swelling, walk around carefully as soon as possible after the surgery.
Recovery Care at Home May Include:
Tending the surgical parts of the tummy: You must often change and clean the dressings and bandages. If drains are necessary for your recovery process, then you may be asked to recover at the hospital so that the drains and the surgical sites are well-taken care off. You will be told how to keep the area clean.
For about six weeks after surgery, you will have to wear an abdominal binder, compression garment, or an elastic girdle. This help eliminates the fluid buildup, minimizes swelling, and provides support to the abdominal wall.
You will be given ointments or cream to apply to the skin and scars. You will also be prescribed antibiotics, and pain killers for quick and event-free healing and eradicating the potential for infection.
Follow-Up Care with Your Surgeon:
Patients can usually resume work and other activities after two to three weeks from the day of surgery. However, the appropriate time to go back to work or indulge in driving or other activities ultimately depends on your health and the extent of the procedure. Feel free to ask your surgeon questions about tummy tuck in Mumbai and things to expect during recovery.
Helpful Tips for Optimal Healing Results
Ensure that you allow yourself time to heal and recuperate. To aid with the recovery process, follow these tips:
- Eat a proper healthy diet before and after the surgery. Drink a lot of water to help flush out the toxins from the body to reduce swelling. Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet as they are full of vitamins and antioxidants that will help in healing. Protein-rich foods like chicken and salmon are also great to include in your diet as they contain healthy fats.
- Get Rest: Rest as much as possible. Sleep in an inclined position. Put pillows under your knees. It will reduce the pressure on the abdomen. Raise your upper body slightly with your knees bent; this will help in reducing the swelling. Consult with your surgeon regarding the correct position for a restful sleep at night.
- Include gradual walks in your daily routine: Moving around and short walks will keep the blood flowing which will help in healing and reducing blood clots.
- Know the limits of your body: Do not indulge in strenuous workouts and lifting for about six weeks.
- Stay positive: It is normal to feel dull in the initial week of the tummy tuck because of the pain medications or the lack of immediate results. Post-operative swelling will make you feel sad. Shift your focus on why you got the surgery and the final results. Overlook the swelling and immediate discomfort as the final results will be visible soon.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking: Smoking will complicate and hinder the process of healing. At the same time, alcohol can have dangerous reactions to prescribed medications for pain. It is suggested that you stay away from people who smoke.
- Take care of the scar: There will be swelling above the scar and bruising in your abdominal area, eventually fading. Scars will be bumpy and red at first, but they will flatten and fade away with time. Apply patches or silicone gel prescribed by your doctor to heal the scar faster. Avoid direct exposure to the sun for a year and later; use Sunscreens having a complete UV blocking capacity before sun exposure.
Recovery time for each patient is different, so the progress will also be distinct and visible in small or giant phases. Be patient with the entire process of recovery. Tummy tuck surgery cost in Mumbai is affordable, so you can get a tummy tuck if you want to at a reasonable price.
If you are considering a tummy tuck procedure or any other surgery, you must get in touch with the surgeon for a consultation to understand the process and get a complete guide.