Mummy makeover is a term that Dr. Thomas coined in 2004 and has now been embraced across the country. While few really know what it means. Doctors and patients are equally guilty in this regard. Fortunately for everybody, vanity rules and so the interest continues and will increase exponentially. If you look good, you feel good is the current mantra.
In our experience, less than 20 per cent cases of Mummy Makeovers happen because both the husband and wife want it. These are mainly because the men are socialites and want their women looking good and presentable. However, the good trend is that majority of women who come in for such surgeries do so only because they want it. More so, the numbers are increasing among the regulars and middle-class groups.
Following pregnancy and breast feeding, a physiologic event, the breast, the abdomen, possibly the thighs and the vagina undergo changes. As a result the following procedures may be indicated:
- Breast Surgery
- Body Re contouring / Tummy Tuck
- Vaginoplasty (indicated usually in vaginal deliveries) and Labial reduction.
1. Breast Surgeries
2. Body contouring
- Helps address the laxity of the vaginal canal by tightening it after delivery.
- Labial reduction in people who have wing like labia minora.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Mummy makeovers are not recommended until all of the additions to the family are completed. In the event somebody does get pregnant after mummy make over, it will undo some of the results obtained and may require secondary procedures to fix them.
- Vaginoplasties are generally not required for women who have undergone a C-section for childbirth as it is the natural childbirth through the vaginal canal that makes it lax. Depending on the patients’ needs this laxity can be addressed.
Additionally, surgeries are generally not recommended right after the delivery for two reasons:
1. Patients may have the post-partum blues.
2. More importantly the child needs to bond with the mother.
- There is no special age group for these procedures as it is need-based and the need is on the part of the patient. None of the surgeries that are part of the mummy make over are medically required, rather will make the person feel good about themselves. After all pregnancy, even though may be desired and physiologic in nature, causes a significant alteration of the female body particularly in the breast, body and perhaps vaginal areas.
- Between being a new mother, sleep deprivation, breast feeding and the dysmorphic changes of the body can often be better managed mentally if the patients could visualize the mummy makeover in the future. This is sort of a restorative procedure for women after pregnancy.
- While there is no preferred age group, the benefits can be reaped well if performed early in life. Middle age is not a contraindication for this type of procedures as we live longer, sexual activity will continue beyond the stereotypical period and hence physical desirability and the need for sexual pleasure will drive the engine for mummy makeovers.