Having the perfect weight and body is everyone's desire. Bariatric surgery is a medical procedure that helps people achieve their dream of having a normal weight. Various weight loss surgeries, including sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass are referred to as Bariatric surgery. It works by making changes in the absorption pattern of the digestive system, in reducing some hormones, and reducing the appetite.
There are conditions when natural healthy ways of losing weight do not help, and medical procedures are required to treat problems, such as obesity. It is challenging to control weight when the condition becomes severe and needs medical treatment. It also reduces the health risk in patients facing other serious illnesses such as blood pressure problems, heart-related diseases, diabetes, liver diseases and many more. In addition, the surgery reduces the severity of various ailments such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), pain in the joints, cancers related to obesity, infertility, etc.
Dr Mohan Thomas Aesthetics, has been well known for bariatric surgery and post Bariatric surgery Body contouring not only in Mumbai, but has attended to and satisfied the needs of innumerable patients from India and abroad. Their highly skilled and well-experienced surgical team delivers world-class services as it is known for the most reasonable bariatric surgery cost in India.
One should be aware of the following before the surgery:
- The eligibility criteria for bariatric surgery is a detailed clinical assessment by a team of surgeons and physicians. This is done in order to prevent performing the surgery on a patient who does not require this surgery and can lose weight naturally using other healthy methods.
- The Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI) states that only those patients whose Body Mass Index (BMI) is more than or equal to 35 Kg/m2 should undergo surgery. People with lower BMI can undergo surgery only if associated with medical diseases such as Diabetes.
- The client will be required to follow some crucial instructions regarding changing their diet before undergoing the surgery. This will take around 7-15 days, depending on the type of surgery and based on the weight of the patient.
- The patient will have to avoid eating food that has excessive carbohydrates, especially sugar. Instead, they will be required to eat food that is rich in proteins.
- A patient must refrain from drinking alcohol and smoking for atleast 4 weeks before the surgery.
- A few clinical and laboratory assessments will be made on the patient before the surgery to inquire about the nutritional level of the body. If any of the essentials such as Hemoglobin, protein levels, Iron level and other micro nutrients are found to be less than required, the patient will be asked to consume those particular vitamins in an increased quantity.
- The patient should make sure that they clear all their hesitations and feel comfortable while consulting the team to perform the surgery.
One should be aware of the following after the surgery:
- The patient must refrain from eating anything for the first 24 hours after the surgery is performed and the nutrition will be maintained on intravenous fluids.
- They will be asked to consume only fluids and not eat any other food for 15 days following the surgery. After that period is over, the patient is asked to follow the diet plan given by the Surgical team, which allows them to eat only certain foods for the following two weeks—the surgeon advises to eat food slowly by chewing well and eating less at a time. There are chances of vomiting and chest pain if these guidelines are not followed strictly.
- The patient is allowed to continue eating their everyday food after 1 month of the surgery but with some restrictions on how much food can be eaten at once. They are also advised to eat every few hours in order to fulfil the physical requirement since they are not allowed to eat a large quantity at once.
- The patients are required to refrain from eating foods that contain carbohydrates in large amounts, especially sugar. It is also necessary to avoid eating junk and unhealthy food after the surgery is performed. With time, they will be allowed to eat food in healthy proportions. However, if the guidelines are not followed correctly, it can lead to disastrous consequences, and they may start gaining unhealthy weight again.
- It is healthy for patients to eat foods with more proteins such as meat, eggs, chicken etc. Vegetarian people are advised to eat foods like sprouts and paneer.
- The patients are advised to avoid strenuous exercises initially. They can, however, do other physical activities which are healthy and helpful for them. These include yoga, stretching, walking and swimming but only after the first 2 or 3 months. They can resume their regular exercise schedule after 6 months from the completion of the surgery.
With their utmost care until full recovery and perfection in work, Dr Mohan Thomas Aesthetics provide world-class surgery and provide the best bariatric surgery cost in Mumbai, Pune and Goa. Be one of their success stories. Consult an expert today!