Bariatric surgery in India can be life-changing for obese patients who want to lose weight. There are so many more health benefits to it besides just taking that weight off?
Weight loss surgery in India can produce sustainable loss of weight in those who have obesity and who have not achieved long-term success with other weight loss processes. It is usually indicated in patients with morbid obesity who have failed to lose weight in spite of conservative measures. There are numerous bariatric surgeries that are available of which Gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy are the most common weight loss surgery in India.
Bariatric surgery In Mumbai reduces the stomach’s potential to accommodate food, which limits food intake and helps you feel fuller faster than usual. Certain bariatric procedures also reduce the absorption of calories. According to your body’s needs the type of technique to be used will be established by your doctor.
Let’s talk about the various benefits of bariatric surgery in India.
Bariatric surgery offers people significant and consistent weight loss. Losing weight by conservative measures will be considered a success only if it stays off for at least 5 years. Obesity can be difficult to tackle and keeping the weight off can be extremely difficult.
Benefits of Bariatric surgery
The benefits of bariatric surgery are not limited to only reduction in weight rather also include the following;
Long-term remission for type 2 diabetes.
Metabolic syndrome with patients having a higher waist circumference are at risk for diabetes. Bariatric surgery causes long-term remission of type 2 diabetes. The procedure is highly effective for those who have obesity and type 2 diabetes, allowing almost all patients to remain free of insulin, hypoglycemic agents and other related medications for many years after surgery. The dependency on insulin is reduced which helps patients towards a faster recovery.
- Improved cardiovascular health- Weight loss surgery decreases a person’s risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease. Another potential and life changing benefit is that the surgery can help prevent the risk of stroke, hypertension and myocardial infarction which can be potentially fatal. Even the Blood pressure and cholesterol levels can return to normal, or near normal after surgery, reducing these risks and improving overall well-being.
- Relief of depression- Obese patients feel depressed because of poor body image and social stigma especially in the current social climate. Younger people who carry significantly excess weight, are predisposed to this and find it difficult to participate in activities they might otherwise enjoy, leading to social isolation and depression. Losing this excess weight can improve emotional health and mental wellbeing in these patients.
- Reduce the risk of obstructive sleep apnea. Obese patients with a particularly short neck are capable of achieving and sustaining a normal weight range. This often allows people with sleep apnea to stop using a CPAP machine at night time. About 80 to 85% of patients experience remission of their sleep apnea one year after surgery reducing their dependency on external ventilation devices
- Relief from Joint pain- Carrying around excessive weight puts a lot of stress on your weight-bearing joints, especially the hip and knee joints, often causing chronic pain and joint damage. The significant and consistent weight loss that occurs after bariatric surgery reduces the stress on joints and often allows people to stop using painkillers and enjoy further mobility and exercise. These patients would otherwise require joint replacement surgery to fix the wear and tear on these joints.
- Improve chances of fertility- Weight loss surgery can also improve fertility during reproductive years. The chances of abortion may decline after bariatric surgery and can improve menstrual cycles in women who don’t ovulate.
- Other medical conditions- Weight loss surgery can also alleviate metabolic syndrome, pregnancy complications, gallbladder disease etc
With obesity and its concerned health complications rising at an increased rate, bariatric surgery certainly represents a powerful tool for providing sustained relief for overweight people. When making this decision, it’s important to choose a facility with extensive experience in performing these procedures.
The best facilities have a team of experts to help guide people through pre-surgery counselling and give ongoing support afterward which may include removal of the excess skin and contouring afterwards
What Is The Bariatric Surgery Cost In India?
Bariatric surgery cost in Mumbai is absolutely not a reflection of the bariatric surgery cost in India as the large part of the cost depends on the hospital and facility. Since this procedure is undertaken using Laparoscopic instruments, there is a large cost for the disposables. Places where the cost is particularly low may compromise with your safety hence choosing the right surgeon is more important than the choice based on Bariatric surgery cost in India.