Having the perfect weight and body is everyone's desire. Bariatric surgery is a medical procedure that helps people achieve their dream of having a normal weight. Various weight loss surgeries, including sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass are referred to as Bariatric surgery. It works by making changes in the absorption pattern of the digestive system, in reducing some hormones, and reducing the appetite.
There are conditions when natural healthy ways of losing weight do not help, and medical procedures are required to treat problems, such as obesity. It is challenging to control weight when the condition becomes severe and needs medical treatment. It also reduces the health risk in patients facing other serious illnesses such as blood pressure problems, heart-related diseases, diabetes, liver diseases and many more. In addition, the surgery reduces the severity of various ailments such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), pain in the joints, cancers related to obesity, infertility, etc.
Dr Mohan Thomas Aesthetics, has been well known for bariatric surgery and post Bariatric surgery Body contouring not only in Mumbai, but has attended to and satisfied the needs of innumerable patients from India and abroad. Their highly skilled and well-experienced surgical team delivers world-class services as it is known for the most reasonable bariatric surgery cost in India.
The surgery is of three different types:
- Blocking procedure
In this procedure, the consumption of food is blocked, which may reduce the size of the belly. This method includes the process of Biliopancreatic Diversion with a Duodenal Switch. BPD/DS is a rarely used method in which a significant part is removed from the small intestine and approximately 80℅ from the stomach. The rest of the part of the stomach and the small intestine is left undamaged. This procedure is only performed on people having a BMI greater than 50 and has complications such as malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies, dumping syndrome, etc., for an extended time.
- Restrictive procedure
This procedure is usually used on people suffering from moderate obesity. In this surgery, the stomach size is shrunk or reduced so as to create a sense of feeling full and satisfied even with a smaller amount of food. It includes vertical banded gastroplasty, adjustable gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy.
- Mixed procedure
It is a commonly used method that does two things simultaneously. The first is, blocking the consumption of nutrients, and the second is, restricting the stomach size.
How is this surgery performed?
The process takes about two hours and is done under general anaesthesia. Certain factors are kept in mind before choosing the type of bariatric surgery to be performed on an individual. These include the hospital in which the surgery will be performed, the experience of the surgeon, and the patient's health. These surgeries are usually performed using a laparoscope which is a tubular tool with a tiny camera attached to it. The surgeon makes small slits and inserts the instrument into the abdomen. This is a minimal access surgery and hence it takes less time to complete, and its recovery is faster than other surgeries.
Requirements of Bariatric Surgery
Sleeve Gastrectomy is preferable because of the many advantages that it has:
- This technique keeps the natural alimentary canal intact thus reducing the chances of having any nutritional deficiency.
- Limited complications arise due to this surgery, and the life threat is significantly less compared to other surgeries.
- This surgery is performed when naturally healthy ways of losing weight do not help.
- It lowers the risk for patients facing other serious illnesses such as blood pressure problems, heart-related diseases, diabetes, liver diseases and many more. In addition, the surgery reduces the severeness of various ailments such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), pain in the joints, cancers related to obesity, infertility etc.
Eligibility to undergo the surgery
- A complete clinical assessment is done by a team of Physicians which includes the Bariatric Surgeon. This is done to rule out any chance of the surgery being performed on a patient who does not require this surgery and can treat the problem naturally using other healthy methods.
- It is recommended for patients with a BMI equal to or more than 35. It can also be done on patients with BMI between 30 and 35 if they are at a severe stage of obesity.
- The patient will be required to stick to some crucial instructions regarding their diet before undergoing the surgery. This will take around 7-15 days, depending on the weight of the patient.
- The patient has to avoid eating food that has excessive carbohydrates, especially sugar. Instead, they will be required to eat food that is rich in proteins.
- A patient must refrain from drinking and smoking for a period prior to the surgery.
- A few clinical and laboratory assessments will be made on the patient before the surgery to inquire about the nutritional level of the body. If any of the essentials are found to be less than required, the patient will be asked to consume those particular vitamins in an increased quantity.
- The patient should make sure that they clear all their doubts and be comfortable while consulting the team to perform the surgery.
Dr Mohan Thomas Aesthetics provides world-class surgery with utmost care until complete recovery. Be one of their success stories. Visit us today!