No two breasts are the same. Even on the same person there may be a difference between the two sides. More than half the women have an asymmetry between the two breasts with the dominant side being more prominent. Usually, this asymmetry is insignificant and too small to notice. But in a few people there is a visible difference. Such patients undergo a lot of insecurities about their bodies. Breast implant surgery in Mumbai works wonders in such women. It can also be done in women with small breast who wish to enlarge their breasts for whatever personal reasons.
Some of the common reasons to choose breast implant surgery in India include:
- If the breasts are small.
- If one is breast is smaller than the other.
- To counter the effects of after pregnancy or significant weight loss leading to decreased size or looseness (implants with a lift as well).
- To correct any unevenness or issues with your breasts.
- To improve your confidence and self-esteem.
Breast augmentation surgery in India is performed mainly by the use of breast implants in India and fat transfer to enhance the breast. Under these there are multiple different options that can be used depending on how one wants her breasts to look and feel.
Breast implant surgery in India is the most common type of breast augmentation procedure undertaken. It refers to the surgical placement of implants within the different layers of the breast to increase the size and firmness of the breast
The size of the patient’s natural breast. Asymmetry is best addressed with fat grafting if the size difference is minimal.
In case of patients who require reconstruction. Such as patients who have undergone breast removal surgery following cancer etc. a tissue expander can be placed and once adequate space is created it can be replaced by the implant. This process can take a couple of months (upto 3 months)
Smoking is associated with poor or delayed wound healing. Therefore, it is expected the patient stops smoking 2-3 weeks prior to the procedure.
Other co-morbidities such as hypertension, heart problems, diabetes, play a significant role in the wound healing process. And must be treated and brought under control prior to surgery.
Adequate screening of the breasts is also required to check if there are lumps in the breast which will alter the end result and can be removed during surgery. Screening for cancer are also essential as it’ll change the proposed surgical plan for the patient.
Breast Implant surgery in Mumbai-
Breast implants in India are mainly done under general anaesthesia which is the most preferred by the patient and the surgeon. Here the patient is put to sleep during the procedure and wakes up with the implants in place.
It can also be done under local anaesthesia and intra venous sedation but this may not be for everyone. Most patients prefer not to be aware and awake during the surgery
The duration of the surgery is around 2-3 hours.
Type of incisions
Infra mammary incision: here the surgical incision is placed below the breast on the skin fold thus hiding the surgical scar.
Circum-areolar incision: the incision is place along the nipple and skin junction. And due to the darker nipple the scar is often well camouflaged. It is not the preferred incision for unmarried women or those who have not gone through pregnancy.
Trans-axillary approach: in some cases where the patient does not wish to have scars visible in the region an incision is placed in the armpit and the breast is approached from there. The implant is placed under the gland or under the muscle.
TUBA- transumblical breast augmentation. Here the entry is through the belly button. It is not the most preferred incision.
Types of implants and the placement of the implants.
Following types if Implants can be used during Breast implant surgery in India:
- Saline breast implants:These implants are filled with sterile normal saline.Advantage is If the implant were to break your body will absorb the saline and naturally get rid of it.Structured implants provide a better shape.
- Silicone breast implants: These implants are made of silicone gel instead of saline and are relatively firm. They are the commonly used ones.
- Form-stable breast implants: also called 'gummy bear' breast implants. They retain their shape even in the implant shell breaks. They are made of thick silicone gel. They are more firm compared to the other implants. Form-stable breast implants need a longer surgical incision to be place.
- Round breast implants:The newer type of implants which make the breasts look fuller and firm. Like the name suggest they are round in shape, the main advantage of this is even if the implant rotates it does not change the shape of the breast.
- Smooth breast implants: they are the softest of all the implants. The produce a soft and natural fullness. Also the movement within the breast isn't very obvious.
- Textured breast implants: The idea behind these implants is to create adhesions of the tissues to the implant, this prevents the implant from migrating or being displaced.
- Anatomic implants: are tear drop shaped and has a more mature look. There can be rotation of the main end of the implant (right to left)
The placement of the implants are either
- Beneath the skin and under the breast tissue.
- Or beneath the muscle.
This is a decision taken by the surgeon depending on factors like the size of breast, the type of implant and the amount of soft tissue to camouflage the breast implant.
Fat transfer breast augmentation:
In this type of augmentation fat from one place of the body is extracted via liposuction.
Commonly taken from
- the belly.
- the flanks
- the back.
- the thighs.
This fat is then processed and filtered. The extracted fat is then re-injected into the breast in a layered pattern. It is done as per the volume required to augment the breast as required by the patient.
Duration of hospital stay
It is usually a day care procedure where the patient can be discharged on the same day. But it is advised to be under at least 24-48 hours of hospital monitoring. This is based on the patient's health, the surgery and the surgeon's views.
- it usually takes around 1 month to completely recover and the patient is advised not to do strenuous activities such as jogging, exercise etc in the meantime for a period of 8-12 months.
- Meanwhile adequate breast support inner wear (sports bra) is required to hold the breast in place.
- The patients are advised sleep on their back till the process of healing is achieved.
- Cessation of smoking is advised.
- Patient has to continue other systemic medications as prescribed by the doctors.
- Regular follow up visits are suggested by the surgeon
- Suture removal is done 10th day after surgery is non-absorbable sutures are used.
The possible complications and side effects of breast augmentation?
Immediately after surgery
- Hematoma(blood clot) formation
- Wound healing issues.
- Seroma:refers to accumulation of fluid around the breast. This may need to be drained out
- capsule contracture: it is a type of scar tissue that is formed over the implant leading to a hardened feel of the breast.
- Sagging of breasts: This can occur when the implants are displaced and causes your breasts to droop extra due to the natural aging process or the weight of the implant.
- Implant rupture or deflation: over a period of time the breasts implants may deflate(saline type) and sometimes even rupture. In such cases a subsequent surgery is required replace the implant.
- Breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL): This is a very rare type complication usually occurs nearly a decade after the implant is done. It is a type of cancer that develops in the breast but is localised around the implant. The treatment would be to remove the implant and the tumour.>
Other important considerations to take into account include:
- Breast implants are not guaranteed to last your entire life. You may need surgery in the future to replace one or both implants.
- Pregnancy, weight loss and menopause may affect the appearance of your augmented breasts.
- Breast augmentation surgery could potentially affect your ability to breastfeed
- Regular follow up is required to screen the breast like any other women but in case of an implant routine screening tests may not be adequate and a surgeon's consult is often required. Family history of cancer is significant in regular screening needs.
Breast Augmentation cost in India-
Breast Implant surgery cost in Mumbai depends on various factors, the type of implants used, the surgical approach, the need of tissue expanders, duration of surgery, whether primary or redo etc.
Sadly, this being a cosmetic procedure is not covered by any insurance and the patient has to bear the expenses of the same.
Breast augmentation surgeries are relatively safe surgical procedures that play a pivotal role in the wellness of a woman. The number of women who opt for this procedure has exponentially increased in the last decade. Every year around 3,00,000 women undergo this procedure in the US and there is an increasing trend for the same in our country. Though it is a common cosmetic surgical procedure& and usually has a high satisfaction rates it's important to consider all the risks and possible side effects of having breast augmentation surgery.