Forehead surgery involves various cosmetic procedures which may be undertaken to reposition the eyebrows, reduce the height of the forehead or undertake scar revisions in people who have prominent scars. Choosing a surgeon who has complete knowledge of the forehead anatomy as well as experience is the first step to achieving an outstanding result.
Broad forehead in young people of both sexes may be genetic. In later years loss of hair or alopecia caused due to post traumatic or surgical procedures can cause a recession of the hairline causing a prominent forehead. The large forehead is more distressing for women and most of them spend a great deal of time thinking about how to reduce forehead size.
Forehead reduction surgery is a form of hairline lowering surgery and is best indicated in women who have little or no chance of having recession of the frontal hairline. Since men are genetically programmed for frontotemporal recession, forehead reduction by removing the excess skin is not a good choice.
Indications Of Forehead Reduction Surgery-
- Very high forehead in a female
- Facial feminization ( male to female gender re-assignment)
- Those who want to change the shape of their hairline ( Heart shaped or round)
- Patients wanting a Browlift along with removal of excess skin
Pre- Requisite For A Forehead Reduction Surgery-
- There should be sufficient skin laxity on the top of the head. This is important since the hair bearing skin from the top of the head is the one which will replace the skin removed.
- The hair at the starting of the hairline should be strong and preferably dense so that the incision line can be camouflaged.
- Understanding with the patient that if scar near the hairline becomes a concern then a hair transplant procedure may be required to cover the scar.
- All routine tests which will include blood tests and others for anesthesia are normal.
- Smokers should have stopped smoking atleast 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Blood thinners and supplements have to be stopped a week in advance.
Hairline Advancement Procedure-
The first step of this procedure involves assessing the amount of skin that can be removed. This is done by the pinching technique. This is required as over excision of the skin will leave a very grotesque scar which will need corrective surgeries. Once the amount of skin to be removed is confirmed, a zig-zag incision is marked at the base of the hairline. Local anesthetic solution is now injected along the incision. After waiting for an adequate period, incision is made along the base of the hair follicles in such a way that the hair follicles are left intact. The slope of the incision will allow the new hair to grow into the scar line thus preventing the scar from being seen. The excess skin to be removed is from the non-hair bearing forehead and the hair-bearing scalp skin is now lifted off the deeper tissues and moved forward. Mirror image of the incision is made on the non-hair bearing skin and once adequacy is checked, the skin is removed. Hemostasis is achieved and closure is done in 2 layers in such a way that the skin sutures can be remove dearly.
If you have questions about the safety of forehead reduction surgery, ask the top cosmetic plastic surgeon in Mumbai- Doctor Mohan Thomas and he will guide you on the same.
How To Prepare For Forehead Reduction Surgery?
- Get a good sleep on the night before surgery.
- wash your hair with a medicated shampoo as washing your hair will not be allowed for a few days.
- Avoid blood thinners, aspirin and other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for six weeks before surgery to avoid bleeding during the operation.
- Ask your doctor about any medications you are taking that may interact with anesthesia or cause side effects of nausea or vomiting after surgery.
- Don't smoke or drink alcohol before surgery.
How To Care For Yourself After Hairline Advancement Surgery?
To start with, take it easy on yourself after the surgery. It's important that you refrain from lifting heavy objects or any kind of strenuous exercise for at least a month after surgery, since your forehead may be swollen and tender.
You can start washing your hair 5 days after surgery. Till then you have to wash the stitch line with antiseptic solution and liberally use antibiotic cream along the sutureline.
Antibiotics that have been prescribed and the anti-inflammatory medications should be taken regularly.
Avoid sun exposure for at least a month (or even longer) because this could cause an increase in swelling near your eyes and on your forehead as well as possible discolouration of the stichline (a condition called hyperpigmentation).
What Is The Forehead Reduction Surgery Cost In India?
Forehead reduction surgery cost in India varies based on the surgery technique, whether combined with any other facial surgery, the hospital chosen and the extent of surgery. Dr. Mohan Thomas and his team only use Peer reviewed techniques that have been published in reputable journals along with the International standard of care. So for the most Natural and safest Forehead reduction surgery in Mumbai, India, please contact Dr. Mohan Thomas Aesthetics at 022 67337500.